Contractors must re-apply to the California Contractors State License Board whenever there is a change in the entity that they are licensed under. For example, if you are general partnership and one of your partners is bought out or a new partner joins the business the partnership entity needs to be amended and an application for a new license submitted to the CSLB. If a general or qualifying partner leaves the partnership, a disassociation Request must be completed and sent to the CSLB’s Headquarters Office within 90 days of the disassociation date. If the notice is not received at the CSLB within 90 days the effective date of the disassociation, the date the notice is received at the CSLB will be used as the disassociation and cancellation of the license date. General partners cannot be added to an existing partnership license. A new license would be required for the new partnership structure. If you are doing business as a partnership and decide to incorporate, you must notify the CSLB of the change in entity and apply for a new license number for the corporation. If you go from a sole proprietorship to a partnership or corporation, you must apply for a new license number. If you decide to change your entity when the CSLB allows Limited Liability Corporations you will need to have a new license number issued.

Consult an Orange County Construction Attorney if you have any questions on changing your entity or the members.