1. Submit Your Proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance to CSLB

    Have you added workers to your contracting business since filing a workers' compensation insurance exemption with CSLB? If so, you must submit a certificate of workers' compensation insurance or a certification of self insurance, as required by law. If you are covered by a minimum policy for workers…Read More

  2. Emergency or Force Majeure Clause In Construction Contracts

    We all know that something bad can happen on a construction project that can cause delay. The question is how do we deal with it. Most contracts have some provision in case of emergency or force majeure . Force Majeure is French for superior or irresistible force and such a clause is contained in ma…Read More

  3. Who Must be Licensed as a Contractor?

    All Businesses or individuals who construct or alter, or offer to construct or alter, any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation or other structure in California must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) if the total cost (labor and materials)…Read More

  4. Change in Structure of Business Entity Requires New License Number

    Contractors must re-apply to the California Contractors State License Board whenever there is a change in the entity that they are licensed under. For example, if you are general partnership and one of your partners is bought out or a new partner joins the business the partnership entity needs to be…Read More