1. Construction Law in Los Angeles and General Contractors

    We talk an awful lot about construction law in Los Angeles and the need for an attorney when you run into problems with contractors and such. But the truth of the matter is that construction contractors offer all sorts of specialized services and can ensure the success of your construction projec…Read More

  2. Public Works Bidding – Registration Required

    Registered contractors who fail to renew by July 1, 2016 but continue working on public works after that date will be subject to late fees and potential penalties. Contractors must be registered with DIR before bidding, being awarded or performing work on public works projects in California. DIR reg…Read More

  3. RMO or RME the R stands for Responsible!

    All state contractor's licenses issued to a company in California require a qualifying individual who has demonstrated his or her knowledge and experience and hold a license. Qualifiers of companies must exercise direct supervision and control of construction operations. If the qualifier is absent a…Read More

  4. Before you withhold payment on a Public Works Project

    The Court in East West Bank v. Rio School District dealt with withholding payments on a public works project. The court dealt with the Prompt Pay Statute Public Contract Code Section 7107. The Court dealt with a contractor who was awarded a $7 million plus contract for the Rio School District. It su…Read More

  5. New Sick Leave Law July 1, 2015

    The new mandatory sick leave policy goes into effect July 1, 2015 requiring that you not only provide sick leave if you do not already but place new posters in employee areas and accrue the sick leave on the employees pay stub. The Labor Board can answer many of your questions. Review this carefully…Read More

  6. Public Works Registration

    From June 20, 2014 all contractors on public works must be registered and furnish certified payroll records to the labor Commissioner until the project is complete. On or after March 1, 2015 the law requires that only registered contractors and subcontractors be listed on bids. On or after April 1, …Read More

  7. Fraudulent Use of License

    CSLB can now take administrative action against any licensed or unlicensed contractor who commits violations related to the fraudulent use of a contractor license. Business and Professions Code Section 7114 prohibits aiding or abetting an unlicensed person to evade the provisions of the licensing la…Read More

  8. RMO or RME – your license and liability are on the line!

    If you are the qualifying member of a construction business, you and your licenses will be held accountable for all activity and any violations committed by other members of the license. As the Responsible Managing Officer (RMO), Responsible Managing Employee (RME), or Qualifying Partner for a contr…Read More

  9. RME or RMO Do You Need to Post a Bond?

    A bond of Qualifying Individual is required if the license is qualified by a Responsible Managing Empolyee (RME). The bond is in addition to the bond for the license. A bond is required for a Responsible Managing Officer (RMO) if the officer does not own at least ten percent (10%) or more of the vot…Read More